Sunday, July 12, 2009

Take 8 downward dogs and call me in the morning


Pune is the epicenter of yoga studies for India, with the famous Iyengar making his home here, and several other ashrams as well. Yesterday we visited the Kaivalyadham Yoga Institute in Lonavala, about 1.5 hours outside of Pune. This institute, formed in 1924, is a healthcare centre specializing in yoga, naturopathy, ayurveda, and diet. There are 3 departments: the hospital, which prescribes various yoga practices to deal with functional disorders, the scientific department, and the literary research (philosophy) department. The campus is placed in a gorgeous setting of tropical flora galore. Patients come for a minimum stay of a week, many for more, and are prescribed naturopathy (baths, cleansings, and massage) optional ayurveda treatments, mantra chanting and gentle walks as well as daily yoga practice aligned with their particular ailment. Throughout my visit, I kept thinking this would be one sweet hospital to check into for an extended stay, for any ailment I could dream up that would gain me access!
When we in the West talk about yoga, our understanding is usually limited to the physical exercise. However, yoga, which means TO UNITE, is much more, according to the country we borrowed it from. HATHA YOGA, the most popular form in the West, is based on the physical postures called ASANAS, which aim to stretch, relax and tone the muscular system of the body and the internal organs. In addition, there is the practice of pranayama, which involves manipulation of breathing, and KRIYAS, which are purifying processes which eliminate toxins from the body (think NETTI pots for cleaning nasal cavities, which you can now find at any Whole Foods store!) and finally, meditation practice, which increases awareness of one’s mental functioning. There is also regulation of the diet (hmmm, better rethink my check-in if I have to check my beloved chocolate at the door), as well as control of daily habits such as sleep and work. The final part of a yogic practice includes changes in attitude, behavior and lifestyle: growing feelings of sharing, warmth, friendship, love and respect for the world, which is an antidote for feelings of hopelessness and loneliness. As I read their literature and saw the results of their work I was filled with great respect for such a logical, noninvasive, pleasant mind-body connected approach to addressing ailments. They laughingly told us a yogi is not allowed to be sick, because they should be following all their prescribed actions, but if they do, they have this hospital to address most common ailments. They do not eschew Western medicine, but feel their path is the first to be tried. Can I get an AMEN to that, sisters and brothers? Let me hear an AMEN….. We had a great, peaceful introductory HATHA yoga session at the Institute. I thought of my wonderful yoga instructor, K, and my yoga partner, S, and wished they could have experienced the instructor’s peaceful, meditative voice, accompanied only by the steady sound of the rain which we heard through the many open windows around the studio. I’ve had some private yoga sessions as well, and I’ve seen a contrast with the yoga I practice, Vinyasa Yoga, because here I’ve experienced slow movement, sustained asanas (postures), and intermittent breathing and relaxing time. Also the yoga instructors explain what benefit each pose has for the body as we work through asanas.
Today is our first day “off”, and I have a private yoga session scheduled at the hotel (This IS the hotel Bradjolina stayed at, after all!) then a walk on the 40 acre botanic grounds of the OSHO institute (New Age Guru who popularized primal screaming!), and finally an ayurveda therapy massage in the late afternoon. Read it and weep; we’ve been keeping a crazy yet wonderful schedule, and I deserve this! I may schedule a pedicure as well, if time allows…..
BTW, anyone interested in learning more about this institute can find lots of info and pictures online, and I will be posting more pictures soon. Also, before leaving the states I saw a movie about yoga titled ENLIGHTEN UP!, which was a very interesting documentary chronicling one young American’s efforts in various disciplines.
Today’s deity story will be deferred to the next blog titled PUJA for Ganesha, so look there for a connection to Hindu deities and yoga.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds terrific. Glad you're enjoying some chillin' time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! I love it! I want to hear more!
    thank you Connie! enjoy your time! Kelli

    ReplyDelete