Sunday, July 12, 2009

An Elephant Rock Star


Today I visited Ganesha’s Temple in Pune, a jewel of a temple. As we approached the temple, we encountered several police guards warning any silly foreigners to put away their cameras; remember Ganesha is THE deity (rather like a patron saint?) of the city of Pune. Also, there were several vendors selling the materials necessary for a puja. (see photo). Puja is simply a devotion to a god, sometimes through a simple act of prayer, but more often a process which involves flowers, rice, sugar and other fun stuff. The aim in puja is to take DARSHAN, eye-to-eye contact with the god, and thus receive a blessing. I decided to give it a whirl, so I bought my puja materials and cued up. First we removed our shoes, then washed our feet, then waited in a short line to stand in front of the statue. We rang a large bell as entered the main temple, and next some religious fellow took my jasmine garland off my plate, and placed it around one of the mini statues in front of a stunning huge gold Ganesha statue. He also took my coconut, and a small package of sweets (remember Ganesha loves his sweets?), and I moved on down the line. There was another place where we placed the rose trimmed with grass, and then I was left only with a sweet one eats after performing a puja. The temple itself was more opulent than anything I’ve seen, save for some over the top temples in Thailand. The walls were all silver, the ceiling gold, and a huge crystal chandelier adorned the center. The statue of Ganesha itself was gold, and covered with precious stones. The outside was a plaster relief that featured elephants galore, and appeared as if it were carved wood, it was so intricate. Every fall the city of Pune hosts an 11 day Ganesha festival, and I’m guessing this place serves as the epicenter of the celebration.

Let’s return to Ganesha’s parents for today’s Hindu deity. Parvati and Shiva are also known as Uma and Maheshvara. Together they are the inseparable one, known as Uma Maheshvara (note woman’s name is always first). According to Hindu belief, gods are unable to reach their full potential without their consorts/wives, and they (gods and goddesses) are treated as equals. According to myth, Shiva and Parvati went on a honeymoon that lasted for several years, which irritated the gods. However, whenever they tried to break them up, Shiva would melt them with his third eye! I wondered what they were used for, now I know. The constant companion and vehicle of Lord Shiva and his family is the snow white bull known as Nandi, on whom only those who have conquered their desires through yoga are fit to ride. I’ve been contemplating buying a scooter, but a white bull really makes a statement, doesn’t it?

2 comments:

  1. Please post pic of you on a white bull. Must see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please I want to se Connie who is afraid of a small pigeon (Homer) sit on a bull. If I don't see a pic for comfermation I think the whole thing is bull.

    ReplyDelete